Leifur Eiriksson suggests exploration of Vinland
- L’Anse aux Meadows would make excellent base camp
- Don’t worry about SkrÃ¦lings
- Don’t sweat weather either.
Giovanni Caboto job interview with King Henry VII (slide 1)
- Born in Genoa, from Venice
- Yes, I can sail
- Yes, I have pulse
- Yes, it’s okay to call me John Cabot
- Yes, I will find Northwest Passage to Asia.
Samuel de Champlain recruits colonists for 1608 expedition (slide 10)
Food for expedition:
- I won’t lie to you, it won’t all be pastries & fois gras
- Lack of green veggies shouldn’t be a problem, though.
Montcalm, after defeat on the Plains of Abraham, 1759 (slide 3)
- Well at least we got Wolfe
- This wound in MY chest?
- It is nothing.
Acting US Secretary of State Richard Rush on Negotiating Treaty, 1817 (slide 3)
- Yeah, the guy’s name was Bagot
- Only the English — Bag-ot, heh.
- Good treaty though, disarms Great Lakes.
George Brown reports on first Charlottetown Conference, 1864 (slide 1)
- We stayed on steamship SS Victoria
- No other accommodations available because circus in town
- Yes, actual carnival performers in addition to Maritime delegates.
Lawyers try to get Louis Riel off for “reasons of insanity” at his trial for treason, 1884 (slide 6)
- Mr. Riel talks with God
- Calls himself “David”, prophet of New World
- Keeps saying: “Life, without the dignity of an intelligent being, is not worth having”
- Yes, crazy.
Major Albert Bowman Rogers, on not cashing cheque, 1881 (final slide)
- Wanted to find railroad pass through Selkirk Mountains
- Did it, and named after me.
- Big deal for me. Cool. All about me. Me!
- Holding out for special watch from Mr. Van Horne too.