Notes from the Underground (circa 1864)–> slide 1
- I am a sick manâ€¦
- I am a spiteful man.
- I am an unpleasant man.
- I think my liver is diseased.
- Also, I’m not much fun at parties.
Crime and Punishment (circa 1866)–> slide 12
- Nothing in this world is harder than speaking the truth.
- Nothing easier than flattery.
- Except maybe nonsense: wacka, wacka, woo!
The Idiot (circa 1868)–> slide 2
Lack of originality:
- it’s everywhere, all over the world.
This lack is considered the foremost quality and the recommendation of men who are:
The Brothers Karamazov (circa 1880)–> slide 22
A man who lies to himself, and believes his own lies:
- unable to recognize truth, either in himself or in anyone else
- ends up losing respect for himself and for others
- can no longer love
- indulges in the lowest form of pleasure
- behaves like an animal in satisfying his vices
- also ends up being a drag at parties.
Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche presents that Dostoevsky dude (circa 1887)–> slide 4
- regrettable that no Dostoevsky lived near Jesus
- Dostoevsky was the only psychologist from whom I had anything to learn
- wacka wacka woo!