Germanicus presents “On Campaign with My Three-Year-Old Son” (circa 15 AD) –> slide 4
- Put him in miniature set of armor
- Army mascot
- They call him “Little soldier’s boots” (Caligula)
- Isn’t he adorable?
Gaius Julius Caesar Augustus Germanicus (Caligula) presents “A normal childhood” (circa 35 AD) –> Slide 3
After father Germanicus died:
- lived with mother until the Emperor Tiberius (adoptive grandfather) banished her
- lived with adoptive great-grandmother (Livia) until she died
- brother Nero died in exile
- brother Drussus died in prison (either from eating bedding or starvation)
- went to live with Tiberius on Capri
- good times!
Pullox the fishmonger presents “A good start” (circa 37 AD) –> Only slide
- Lots of gladiatorial games
- Animals sacrificed
- He’s the son Germanicus (great general that)
- And let’s face it, after Tiberius anyone looks good!
Lollia Paulina presents “Something’s not right with that man” (circa 38 AD) –> Slide 12
- My husband the Emperor has been acting odd since he got sick
- I can live with the whoring
- Excessive killings
- But I really wish he’d stop insisting I call him “Hercules”.
Julia Agrippina (the younger) presents “My brother is a mad, mad pig” (circa 40 AD) –> Slide 2
- Has sex with me, Drusilla and Livilla
- Then declared us Vestal Virgins
- Also, he thinks he’s a god
- Dresses up like Hercules, Apollo and Venus.
Caligula presents “I’m not crazy” (circa 40 AD) –> Last slide
- I only kill people when they upset me
- Like, when they call me “little boots”
- I really hate that
- Besides, I’m a bunch of Gods, so I can do what I want
- Now, I’m going to make my horse a Senator.
Cassius Chaerea of the Praetorian Guard presents “He’s gotta go” (41 AD) –> Slide two
- He calls me “noodle dick”
- (It’s a war wound and I can’t help it)
- Luckily, there are lots of other groups that want him dead too.