Napoleon surrenders to the English, July 15, 1815
Napoleon presents “country gent” exile to Prince Regent –>last slide
If I surrender, you will:
- exile me from my beloved France
- let me live a quiet life in the English countryside
- allow me to bring my own chef
I will not:
- call you “smelly beef eaters”
- take over Europe again.
Prince Regent presents “hellish exile” solution to Prime Minister –>slide 6
- St. Helena
- bad food
- poison too (just to hedge our bets).
On board the HMS Bellerephon, Captain Frederick Maitland explains change in plans –>slide 12 & 13
- no, not going to take you to Lake Country
- no, you will not have private chef on board
- no, the Billy Ruffian will not take you to St. Helena.
- from here we sail to Torbay, so tourists can gawk at you for a while
- the Northumberland takes you to St. Helena.
- no! No private chef!