U.S. President Grover Cleveland Dedicates “Liberty Enlightening the World” on October 28, 1886 (slide 2)
- gift from France, another sister in liberty, celebrating the centenary of the Declaration of Independence
- without France, America would not have been free
- an alliance of friendship and respect
- yep, America will never forget this. We’ll always be friends.
French sculptor Frederic Auguste Bartholdi presents ideas for statue in 1867 (slide 6)
- liberty is a big idea, therefore, big statue
- a new colossus
- needs a hot model (not wife)
Slides from Emma Lazarus poem “The New Colossus” in 1883 (second last slide)
- huddled masses yearning to breathe free
- wretched refuse
- homeless, tempest-tossed.
Taylor finds ruined statue half-buried on beach and presents scenery chewing rant number three (only slide)
- You maniacs! You blew it up!
- Damn you! God damn you all to hell!
anniversary of dedication | original photo by bencwright