Apparently, the proprietor of The Skwib is out of his tiny little mind, and he’s giving away Kindles. One for liking his Facebook page (when it reaches 2000, he’ll give one away, but you can also be entered by signing up for my newsletter) and one for every 75 copies of Marvellous Hairy sold.
There’s also a 1/10 chance to win a Kindle skin, if you’ve already got a Kindle!
You can get all the details here.
Alltop does not know what a Kindle skin is, but it sounds sexy.
I managed to get the gallery down to a shortlist of six. You can vote below, or visit the gallery to see all the entries. (Highly recommended — there is some incredibly creative and wonderful work there.)
Feel free to tell me what an idiot I am for my choice of six in the comments!
Voting is open until October 11th.
Alltop forgot to enter.
This contest ran a couple of years ago, and it was a lot of fun, so let’s do it again.
Here’s the concept: find a vintage ad, and then create a product from a created world — it can be from a book, movie, TV, etc. It doesn’t have to be science fiction; you could go with a fantasy world, an alternate reality, whatever. The only proviso is that it has to have been written by someone else, so none of your own bizarre fictional futures. Here’s a couple I mocked up, based on the grim post-apocalyptic THE ROAD and the less-grim, but still post-apocalyptic THE POSTMAN (both books worth reading, btw):
It doesn’t have to be post-apocalyptic, by the way. If you’re more of an optimistic Star Trek kind of person, then I’m happy to see Oil of Olay ads featuring Warf, scotch ads with Scotty, or ear-hair trimming systems endorsed by Quark.
Here are the finalists from last time to help you get the idea.
Or you can in a gallery here“>check out the gallery for this year’s contest is here.
How to enter:
- create your masterpiece (a jpg, png, pfd or gif, please)
- post it to your blog, Flickr, Tumblr, Posterous … or just email it to me
- let me know about it (including the work it’s based on), in the comments, by email (markarayner-at-gmail-dot-com) or Twitter (@markarayner) — let me know who to credit, and include your website if you watn
- they will go in a gallery here, and I’ll update the blog periodically too
- do it by midnight, Monday October 4th
- wait for the aplomb and/or ridicule of your peers
- I’ll narrow it down to a shortlist of five, and then everyone can vote on those.
The winner chooses from:
- a walk-on appearance in the novel I’m currently working on (this will be the last chance for a year at least)
- a tshirt from either of my shops, CafePress or Wordans
The runner up:
- whatever the winner didn’t choose
All five finalists:
Some things that may help
Vintage Ads at Livejournal
Vintage Ads search results at Flickr
Go be awesome!
Congrats to the winners of the contest. Details about it here.
Jo Qatana Adell
Random crap from my desk
Thanks to everyone for participating.