Anaxagoras of Ionia presents “Hot metal, man” (circa 450 BC) –>slide 6
- sun is not Helios riding a chariot in the sky
- it is a blazing ball of metal
- hot metal, man, hot metal
- hey, it makes as much sense!
Diagoras the Atheist presents “Miracle, my ass” (circa 415 BC) –> slide 3
- so this wooden statue prevented ship from sinking?
- throw it (Herakles) on fire
- if it can perform miracles, then it should have no problem
- otherwise, his thirteenth labour shall be to boil my turnips!
Democritus presents “Ungulate theory” (circa 400 BC) –> slide two
- all things made of atoma (atoms)
- soul is just an exceedingly fine and spherical kind of atom
- or perhaps superstition
- in any case, it’s not that different from a goat.
Socrates presents “Method to my madness” (circa 399 BC) –> last slide
- you have accused me of atheos (refusing to acknowledge the state gods) and corrupting the youth of Athens
- it’s a fair cop
- you should know I’ve been inspired by divine voice, Daemon
- also, enjoy a nice pint of hemlock.
Epicurus presents “It’s all good — not God — baby” (circa 300 BC) –>slide 12
- if gods exist (if!) then they’re not interested in humans
- death is the end of body and soul (if it exists)
- not to be feared
- what is good is pleasure, baby, but not too much pleasure
- why I let women into my philosophy school.